Sunday, August 4, 2013

What is Feline Leukemia?

by Amanda L. Maus DVM
Tucson, AZ

Feline leukemia virus (FeLV) is an uncommon but deadly disease that can affect cats.  It is a retrovirus similar to FIV and HIV, but it is not spread between cats in the same way as FIV.  FeLV is spread by casual contact of infected bodily fluids such as saliva, blood, urine, feces, nasal discharge, and milk.  For this reason, transmission is possible through shared litter boxes, food dishes, communal grooming behavior, cat fights, and from mother cat (queen) to kitten.  Luckily some cats exposed to the virus have an immune system capable of completely eliminating the viral infection within 6 weeks of exposure.

 


Cats that cannot defeat the virus before it enters the bone marrow will have the disease for life.  These cats can develop several different types of outcomes. The two most common consequences are severe anemia or lymphoma cancer.  Other FeLV infections may result in a suppressed immune system, secondary infections, inflammatory conditions, neurologic diseases, and/or intestinal diseases.  For this reason, the symptoms of an infected cat can be very different in each case.

When you adopt any new cat or kitten, it is very important to have them tested for FeLV.  This is especially important if they will be living with other cats since the disease is so easily spread.  Most cats will be positive on a FeLV test within a month after initial infection but it may take up to 3 months for a positive test result.  Asymptomatic cats that can be kept quarantined may be retested again to see if they will eliminate the virus.

There is no cure for this disease but there are treatments available for the different diseases and symptoms cause by FeLV.  Most infected cats only survive a few years after diagnosis.

For cats at a high risk of being exposed to FeLV positive cats, there is a vaccine available.  Common household disinfectants can kill the virus.

2 comments:

  1. PAWSitively CATS has quite a few leukemia kitties that are more than 4 years old. You can make a difference to one of these affectionate kitties by becoming a sponsor: http://pawsitivelycats.org/feline-leukemia-cats

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rhod Minster is my name, I am really perplexed today, and I share this piece of good news with everyone reading. Brethren, I was diagnosed of shingles some months after I did a surgery, and I was having serious acute, painful inflammation of the nerve ganglia, with a skin eruption. It was very bad that my skin was gone, and I was almost giving up. The fact was I am very vulnerable because of my weak immune system. So this shingles really affected me. I was taking antiviral medicines after some time it got worst that I was diagnosed of post-herpetic neuralgia. And my doctor prescribed for me paracetamol and codeine which I was using but my condition was getting worst instead of getting better. Somehow, my grandson came home and said his girlfriend was cured of HSV by a herbal doctor whose name was given as Herbal Doctor Uwadia Amenifo. My grandson claimed that his girlfriend was cured by the said doctor with his herbal medicine, so he advised me to give this same herbal doctor a try. I remembered a word at that stage which says ‘there is no harm in trying’ so I decided to give this herbal doctor a try. My grandson help contacted him, and I spoke with him on the phone, and also explained to him in a message I sent to his email. So he assured me, and gave me a good hope that he will surely cure me of this ailment. So we concluded arrangement, and he prepared the herbal medicine, and shipped it to me. So I took it according to his directions. And the herbal mixture really worked for me. I was so surprise the way it worked for me, and in just two weeks, I was beginning to fully recover, and in just less than 2 months, I was fully recovered, and all my pains and inflammation are all gone. Brethren, today I am totally cured and I deem it fit to come here and let everyone know about my cure through the herbal process. Please if you are still suffering from this ailment contact the herbal doctor for your cure. His contact details are as follows Email (doctoruwadiaamenifo@gmail.com), phone number (+2349052015874). Wish you all quick recovery.

    ReplyDelete